Thursday, September 13, 2007

Media Connecting Life

Everyday I usually wake up approximately at 9:00 a.m. to the ringing of my verizon phone, which is set to a very annoying and loud ringtone. After waking up I usually stumble out of my bed and onto my computer; ready to check my email and read the top headlines at CNN. After reading the top headlines I walk over to my friends dorm room and watch ESPN while devouring highly sugared cereal. Throughout the rest of the day I go to my classes in which most of my teachers use the internet as a teaching tool or class websites. Before and after classes I periodically check my email constantly due to my anxiety related to school. After my classes are officially over I call my friends and text them to get together. Before heading to sleep I always watch a few minutes of tv while relaxing in my room.

I feel my media habits have drastically changed over time. As a child I thought the media was only useful for Saturday morning cartoons and school closings due to inclement weather. As a transitioned from an adoloscent to a pre-teen I started paying more and more attention to the current events and my social life. Instead of watching Saturday morning cartoons I began using Instant Messanger and reading the newspaper. I became more conscious of my surrounding and everyday events. Overall, I was becoming a more mature human being. I feel my dad has really played an impact on most of my ideology surroundng the media. At a young age he forced me to read the Washington Post front page everyday. As a child I really didn't enjoy this at all, and treated it like a chore or punishment. Today I realize how much reading the newspaper has changed me as a person for the better. I have met a lot of interesting and new people through socializing about current news and such. I honestly don't enjoy watching certain news shows which clearly favor a certain political party, because they completely take control of all programming.

In the future I feel as though media will just keep expanding. I will always maintain my habit of reading the newspaper, but I'm not sure if I will continue checking my Face Book and other such social clubs. I still feel that I should still read more and watch more tv, but most of my free time is spent studying and playing sports. I wish more people stayed up to date with current events and news. Some people like to give their opinions on topics without fully knowing all the facts, and I feel that this is depremental to society as a whole.

2 comments:

Keith Onto said...

hey Salmaan, I totally agree with you about making sure to read atleast the headlines of the newspaper. Being kept up to date on current events and happenings is important to being well rounded and worldly.

Anonymous said...

I used to have one of the loud and annoying ringtones on my phone as an alarm, but, after throwing it across the room a couple times, I had to set it to one of the quieter ringtones. Otherwise, I would have had to buy a new phone.